Complaints Information Leaflet

Quote / Testimonial:

This leaflet explains:

– How to make a complaint yourself
– How to make a complaint for someone else
– How the Practice responds to complaints

For more information, see our Complaints Form.

Lessons Learned

Whenever our investigation results in our upholding a patient complaint, we discuss the issues (without naming the patient) at our team
meetings, so that all our staff are aware of how to avoid the same mistake.

If you are Dissatisfied with the Outcome

You have the right to approach the Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman if you are
unhappy with how the Practice has dealt with your complaint. The contact details are:

The Parliamentary and Health Service
Millbank Tower,

Tel: 0345 0154033
Email: [email protected]

Partners of Mid Sussex Health Centre

  • Dr Richard Cook
  • Dr Isabel Konrad
  • Dr Candida Lewis
  • Dr Terry Lynch
  • Dr Simon Purwar
  • Dr Asmerom Seyoum
  • Dr Joanna Thomson
  • Dr Hugo Wilson
  • Dr Miriam Winn
  • Dr Isabel Darbyshire
  • Dr Matthew Standen

Practice Business Partner

Denise Simpson-Banks – 01273 837980

[email protected]

Making a Complaint

If you have a complaint or concern about the practice, please let us know. We are always looking for ways to improve, so please tell us when we do not meet your expectations, and give us your ideas for what we should change. Most problems can be sorted out quickly and easily, often at the time they arise, with the person concerned, and this may be the approach you try first. Where you are not able to resolve your complaint in this way and wish to make a complaint, please contact us as soon as possible after the problem arises – ideally within a few days. Because of the difficulty in you or practice staff being able to remember events from more
than a year ago, we only accept complaints that occurred within the last 12 months (or those where you have been aware of grounds for complaint within 12 months).

Complaining for someone else

Please note that if you are complaining on behalf of someone else, the Practice needs to know that you have that person’s permission to do so. A note signed by the person concerned will be required.

How to complain

Please contact the Practice Business Manager, Denise Simpson-Banks, who will offer you advice on the Practice
complaints procedure and explain next steps. We encourage all complainants to put their concerns in writing, using our online complaint form online or by getting a paper version from reception, but Denise will be able to take a note of your concerns on the telephone if you are unwilling or unable to use that form. Denise Simpson-Banks, Practice Business Partner Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint West Sussex, BN6 9UQ

What we do next

We look to settle complaints as quickly as possible. We will acknowledge receipt within 3 working days, and aim to have investigated and reported on our findings within 20 working days (often we can do so within 10 working days). You will be offered a meeting with the person you are complaining about and/or with the person that we assign to investigate your complaint.

When we investigate, we aim to:

  • Ascertain the full circumstances of the complaint
  • Make arrangements for you to discuss the problem with those you are complaining about (if you would like this)
  • Make sure you receive an apology, where this is appropriate
  • Identify what the practice can do to make sure the same problem does not happen again, for you or for
    other patients.

We will always write to you with our final response to your complaint and we will explain what further action you can take if you remain dissatisfied with the response

Complaining to others

We hope that if you have a problem with the Practice, you will use the Practice complaints procedure. We will ensure that someone making a complaint is not discriminated against or subjected to any negative effect on his/her care, treatment or support. If you feel you cannot raise your complaint with us, you can contact NHS England, which is the commissioner (purchaser) of Primary Care services:

NHS England
PO Box 16738,
B97 9PT,

Telephone: 0300 311 22 33
Email: [email protected] (State FAO Complaints Manager in the subject line of your email)

Help with your Complaint ICAS – Independent Complaints Advocacy Service.

IHCAS is the Independent Complaint Advocacy Service delivered by Healthwatch West Sussex. If you need help and support in pursuing a complaint about an NHS funded service, you may like to contact IHCAS. Whilst IHCAS cannot provide medical or legal advice it can help you draft complaint letters, attend resolution meetings and go to the Health Service Ombudsman. You can access the IHCAS service in person, calling the IHCAS Helpline on 0300 012 0122,or email [email protected], or in writing to The Billingshurst Community Centre, Roman Way, Billingshurst, West Sussex RH14 9QW.

The Care Quality Commission

If you have a genuine concern about a staff member or regulated activity carried out by this practice then you can contact the Care Quality Commission on 03000616161 or visit their website at